Sunday, December 4, 2011

Set Design- Large Modern Trees needed!



Sometimes I get the opportunity to use my creativity in my full-time job at my church.  I would guess that most pastors don't "get crafty" too often, but one of the ministries that I over-see is our stage design ministry. 

We change the look of our stage for every message series which is a lot of work, but worth it for the atmosphere and "sacred space" that we create.

So, we are now in the Advent season and just started a new series.  We decided on a clean modern look on the stage with the 3 large modern looking trees off to one side.  Our friend, Scott Byers, has been creating our set design projects over this last year, but needed some help for this current set.  He made the tree bases (trunks) but needed some kind of trees to place on top of them.

I was up for the challenge and spent half a day coming up with a plan, getting supplies, and putting it all together.  Here is what I did:

I decided to use the lampshade idea and create a "Tree Shade" using
 poster board as the base.  I wanted the trees to be big, so I simply
cut 3 pieces of poster board into a triangular pattern.

After cutting out the 3 triangular pieces, I attached them together
 with packaging tape on both sides.

I folded the two ends together and attached the ends
 with the tape to create a 3 sided triangular shade.


I wanted a taller tree with a smaller top, so I measured
from the top onto another piece of poster board to create
another 3 sided top.


Attach the two parts together and you have the structure of the tree.




Next, I attached the fabric with spray adhesive 
and hot glue.



The trunks needed a triangular piece of particle board
nailed to it so the flexible tree shade would stay in place 
and keep it's correct shape.



I was very pleased with how the three trees turned out and looked together!




    
 It was all worth it to see it come together and hear how others really enjoyed seeing it.  I love           
     celebrating the birth of Christ during Advent!  If you live in or near Lincoln, Ca., you should
     come see it for yourself at Emmaus Church Community!  Our church website is   













1 comment: